Years ago, my hair was not growing at all. I was so frustrated because I really wanted to wear a long hairstyle at that time, just the way I wear it right now. I tried everything, and nothing seemed to work. That’s why, when I moved to New York City, I decided to find an effective formula to make it happen, so I followed a lot of tips to make my hair grow faster.
Even now I am in the process of letting my natural hair grow without any treatments, and the tips that I am about to share with you are the ones that have helped me a lot in this journey.
Tips to make your hair grow faster
- Keep your hair healthy: this is the most important advice that I can give you, if your hair is a mess, you use hair straighteners everyday without protection, and you never spend time taking care of it, the odds that you can have long hair are going to be against you.
- Use conditioner every time you use shampoo: my last hair stylist explained to me that conditioners help to balance the pH level and smooths cuticles down, which are very important to have healthy hair. Just make sure you find the correct one for you, and remember that a lot of them come with extra benefits like UV protection.
- Patience is the key: keep in mind that your hair needs time to grow. This is a process and you should enjoy the process.
- Do a cold-water at the end of each shower: this is my grandmother’s advice, so just follow it, because I do not have a scientific explanation for it (LOL!). But I know that cold water helps to prevent moisture loss, snags and heat damage. It helps to have smoother hair too.
- Apply any treatment once a week: Try to find some oil that works for your kind of hair, or some mask with positive benefits. I always use coconut oil, and I leave it in for at least an hour.
- Stop washing your hair every day: I know you don’t want to hear this, but every time you wash your hair, you are stripping it of its natural beneficial oils. To find a balance, I use dry shampoo if I sweat a lot because of a workout or during a warm summer day.
- Wear hair braids! Another grandmother’s advice that works, don’t ask me why.
- Brush your hair carefully, use a natural bristle brush, and start from the bottom and work your way up. This is great advice not to lose a lot of hair.
Do you want to know my favorite beauty products at the moment? Check my favorites page.
Let’s go shopping!